JOB SUMMARY: The Greenhouse Technician is responsible for assisting with the daily greenhouse operations at the Sakata facility in Fort Myers. That includes irrigation, fertilization, pest control, sanitation and control of temperature and ventilation. The incumbent is also required to maintain all greenhouse systems, document greenhouse procedures, and modify protocols as needed to improve plant growth and efficiency. In addition, the Greenhouse Technician will provide similar management practice support to the Farm Manager for field crops as needed.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES*:
- Responsible for working with the breeding programs to manage greenhouse operations, under the supervision of the Farm Manager
- Irrigates and fertilizes greenhouse crops. Works with breeding programs to schedule irrigation work on weekends and holidays.
- Grow quality transplants to ensure a strong start in the field.
- Executes an Integrated Pest Management plan to control insects, plant diseases and weeds in and around greenhouse structures, including chemical spray programs. Maintains spray equipment and sanitizes greenhouses between crops.
- Document greenhouse protocols and modify or create new protocols as needed.
- Will be occasionally required to assist the farm team as needed to accomplish tasks in the field, including tractor operation
- Other duties as assigned.
- Experience growing plants
- Working knowledge of irrigation systems
- Basic understanding of greenhouse control systems, with the ability to set programming for irrigation, fertilization, temperature and ventilation.
- Experience documenting work procedures in a clear and concise manner
- Ability to coordinate with co-workers to accomplish good plant growing conditions
EXPERIENCE AND BACKGROUND:
- Experience caring for plants
- Greenhouse work background desirable
- Knowledge of pest control in greenhouse structures
- Experience with maintaining and repairing greenhouse systems and equipment
- Ability to troubleshoot problems as they arise
- Tractor and forklift experience desirable
- Ability to speak Spanish is desirable but not necessary
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS:
- Must have or be able to obtain within six months a Pesticide Applicator’s License from the State of Florida
- Associate’s degree in a field related to agriculture preferred
WORKING CONDITIONS/PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
- Must have ability to perform work in varying weather conditions, including in very hot and humid environments.
- Must have ability to lift over 50 pounds on a seasonal basis
- Must be able to work with chemicals and other irritating substances
- Must be able to wear personal protective equipment when required
- Must be able to work in dusty, windy and wet conditions
- Must be able to stand and/or walk for long periods of time
- Occasional need for working after normal hours and/or weekends and holidays
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
- Salary range: $45,000 – $50,000 per year
- Medical, Dental & Vision Insurance coverage for employees and their families
- Basic Life & AD&D Insurance
- 401k program with company match
- Profit Sharing program (via 401k)
- Holiday & Performance Incentive Bonus program
- Paid Vacation: 10 days per year to start, increases with tenure
- Sick Leave: 1 hour accrued per 30 hours worked for first 30 days, 6.67 hours per month after.
- 14 paid company holidays, 2 floating holidays & birthday off
- Paid Family Leave: 15 days after 12 months of service for FMLA qualifying events
- Company provided EAP
- Company provided subsidy for health/fitness clubs & apps
*To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty (as described above) satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform these essential functions.
To apply, send resume to HR@sakata.com
Work at Sakata
To apply, send resume to HR@sakata.com.
Please reference job title in subject.