JOB SUMMARY: Provide molecular marker support to Sakata Seed America (SAI) programs by developing new markers and associated technology platforms. Use bioinformatics tools to manipulate and analyze large DNA sequence data sets. Program areas include marker-assisted selection (MAS) for breeder support, seed and plant health testing for plant pathogens, hybrid purity, Intellectual Property efforts and variety identification.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES*:
- Molecular Marker Development: Develop and optimize molecular marker assays for the identification of desirable traits, including disease resistance, yield, quality, and nutritional content.
- Genotyping and Data Analysis: Lead genotyping experiments using various molecular biology techniques (e.g., PCR, SNP genotyping, NGS) and analyze genetic data to assist in the selection of superior breeding lines, characterizing genetic diversity in breeding programs, support intellectual property efforts, etc.
- Marker-Assisted Selection: Implement marker-assisted selection strategies to expedite the breeding process, ensuring the production of high-performing vegetable varieties.
- Trait Mapping: Use a variety of methods such as QTL mapping, GWAS or Genomic Selection to create tools to improve the efficiency of plant breeding.
- Collaboration: Collaborate closely with our breeding team to integrate molecular marker data into the breeding pipeline, providing insights to guide selection decisions.
- Documentation: Maintain accurate records of experimental procedures, results, and data analysis, ensuring compliance with industry standards.
- Stay Current: Stay up-to-date with the latest advancements in molecular marker technology and genomics research, applying this knowledge to enhance breeding strategies.
- Support lab automation and information management efforts. On an as needed basis assist with incorporating new equipment into workflow and data management via programming.
- Apply bioinformatics tools to enable manipulation and analysis of large data sets for use in marker development.
- Advanced knowledge of crop plant genetics, genomics, and breeding, with an emphasis on applied molecular marker technology and linkage mapping concepts. Strong bioinformatics skills, including utilization of genome browsers, sequence aligners, and other sequence analysis tools; experience with mapping and genetic distance programs desirable. Ability to manipulate and extract information from large sequence data files in various formats. Ability to evaluate, develop, adapt, and implement lab protocols for DNA marker assays; familiarity with new/evolving marker analysis systems.
- Excellent oral and written communications skills.
- Ability to work independently, yet cooperatively in a team effort.
- Computer and data management proficiency.
- Ability to handle stress especially when encountering necessary projects, deadlines and/or high workload.
- Must be able to work under strict time constraints and requirements.
- Ph.D. or MS in Genetics, Molecular Biology, Plant Breeding, or a closely related field, focused on plant genomics or trait-linked mapping. Several years practical experience strongly preferred.
EXPERIENCE AND BACKGROUND:
- At least three years’ experience and demonstrated hands-on abilities in applied plant genomics, emphasizing development and application of molecular markers and expertise in utilization of bioinformatics resources.
WORKING CONDITIONS/PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
- Must be able to work with laboratory chemicals and other possibly irritating substances.
- Must be able to wear personal protective equipment when necessary and/or required.
- Must be able to stand for long periods of time.
- Must be able to work long and irregular hours when necessary and/or required.
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS:
- Salary: $85,000 – $110,000 per year
- Medical, Dental & Vision Insurance coverage for employees and their families
- Basic Life & AD&D Insurance
- 401k program with company match
- Profit Sharing program (via 401k)
- Holiday & Performance Incentive Bonus program
- Paid Vacation: 10 days per year to start, increases with tenure
- Sick Leave: 1 hour accrued per 30 hours worked for first 30 days, 6.67 hours per month after.
- 14 paid company holidays, 2 floating holidays & birthday off
- Paid Family Leave: 15 days after 12 months of service for FMLA qualifying events
- Company provided EAP
- Company provided subsidy for health/fitness clubs & apps
*To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty (as described above) satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform these essential functions.
To apply, send resume to HR@sakata.com