JOB SUMMARY: Conduct specific routine seed health assays, as assigned. Set up, perform, and evaluate specific tests. Record and enter data. Isolate and store plant pathogens and perform cleanup duties. Assist in other pathology activities, as requested.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES*:
- Conduct routine seed health assays including test application, materials preparation, and cleanup. Evaluate specific tests and record test data. Assay methods include extraction of pathogens from seed, liquid plating seed wash, ELISA, PCR, blotter assay, grow-out and other seed health testing procedures.
- Conduct greenhouse bioassays for determining virulence of bacterial, viral and fungal pathogens, including host propagation, inoculation, evaluation and data recording.
- Enter submitted seed samples into the LIMS database and assist with the scheduling of specific routine seed health tests. Perform basic computer station work that may involve sample entry, data entry, data retrieval and word processing.
- Isolate and culture plant pathogens, help maintain the culture collection, prepare media, buffers, and other reagents used in plant pathology activities.
- Assists in research and development projects in seed health, seed production and breeding support, as requested.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Basic knowledge of chemistry, math, and biology.
- Good oral and written communication skills and good organizational skills.
- Ability to develop excellent laboratory skills in microbiology and chemistry.
- Ability to quickly adapt and be receptive to changing work demands, techniques, and/or approaches.
- Able to do accurate and detailed work under time constraints and deadlines, and able to adjust to seasonal surges in workload.
- Ability to do routine and repetitious work for several hours in the laboratory or greenhouse.
- Ability to work both independently and in a team.
- Accuracy, efficiency, good dexterity, and visual acuity are critical.
- Competency in data management and use of computer applications.
- Ability to handle stress especially when encountering necessary projects, deadlines and/or high workload.
- Must be able to work under strict time constraints and requirements.
- Willingness to take on a wide variety of tasks and duties.
- Able to train and lead personnel in specified technical applications.
- Bachelor’s degree in microbiology, biology, or related field. Associate degree with demonstrated competence may substitute for the bachelor’s degree.
EXPERIENCE AND BACKGROUND:
- Experience working with microorganisms (bacteria, viruses, fungi) in a laboratory environment is required.
- Experience in an agricultural and/or commercial setting is desirable.
WORKING CONDITIONS/PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
- Must be willing to work overtime hours, including some weekends and holidays, as requested.
- Must be able to work with laboratory chemicals, pesticides, and other possibly irritating substances.
- Must be able to wear personal protective equipment (e.g., gloves, respirator, and lab coat) when necessary and/or required.
- Must be able to stand, sit and/or bend for several hours at a time.
- Must be able to do some lifting of lightweight (< 50 lbs.) items.
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
- Salary range: $21.65-$24.00 per hour
- Medical, Dental & Vision Insurance coverage for employees and their families
- Basic Life & AD&D Insurance
- 401k program with company match
- Profit Sharing program (via 401k)
- Holiday & Performance Incentive Bonus program
- Paid Vacation: 10 days per year to start, increases with tenure
- Sick Leave: 1 hour accrued per 30 hours worked for first 30 days, 6.67 hours per month after.
- 14 paid company holidays, 2 floating holidays & birthday off
- Paid Family Leave: 15 days after 12 months of service for FMLA qualifying events
- Company provided EAP
- Company provided subsidy for health/fitness clubs & apps
*To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty (as described above) satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform these essential functions.
To apply, send resume to HR@sakata.com
Work at Sakata
To apply, send resume to HR@sakata.com.
Please reference job title in subject.