JOB SUMMARY: Key responsibilities include pesticide applications, pest and disease monitoring, fork-lift operation as needed, materials’ purchase order processing/receiving, irrigation maintenance and installation, grower/production support functions, machine and greenhouse light maintenance. Primary focus is on spray applications, maintenance, and grower support related activities.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Follow approved hygiene protocols & procedures for entry into all production areas.
- Scout, monitor and report any pests (insects), diseases and related symptoms
observed on plants and cuttings produced.
- Prepare the spray public information (paperwork), apply pesticides according to the program outlined by the supervisor and observe all applicable pesticide safety regulations. Keep the spray binders/records up to date with spray application public information, as well as the SDS and label binders.
- Keep inventory of pesticides up to date, maintain chemical containers in order,
labeled, stored, and dispose properly of empty containers and residues.
- Support monthly inventory tracking and maintenance of hardgoods including
plastics, containers, growing media, fertilizers, and shipping materials.
- Apply to plants and monitor bio-controls as required by grower.
- Input into the computer system all scouting data on a regular basis.
- Input into the computer system all pesticide and spray data on a regular basis and prepare the pesticide report for the county Ag Commissioner on a timely basis.
- Report all accidents no matter how small.
- Perform requested grower support activities such as:
- Filling pots with soil, propagate cuttings, cleaning of containers and other work-related responsibilities
- Field and landscape preparation for trials
- Wash greenhouse and prep areas for CAST and other promotional events
- Garbage and recycling disposal (within SEP department)
- Errands to purchase locally sourced materials and parts
• Requires basic knowledge of greenhouse operations.
• Must have knowledge of safety procedures in the work area.
• Must understand plant propagation procedures.
• Must be able to perform repetitive functions for long periods.
• Must understand technical and safety requirements for fertilization, pest control,
irrigation, and disease control.
• Must be able to do basic maintenance on equipment such as sprayers, electric carts,
soil machine, sensors, irrigation controls and building facilities (vents, doors, etc.).
• Basic understanding of Argus computer systems
• Ability to handle stress, especially when encountering necessary projects, deadlines
and/or high workload.
• Must be able to work and meet reasonable deadlines.
• Must have private pesticide applicator license or willing to obtain one within 30 days
of employment initiation.
• Must be a forklift operator and be willing to get certified.
• Must have a driver’s license to be able to operate the company car.
• High school or G.E.D. diploma highly preferred
• Must be bi-lingual (English-Spanish)
EXPERIENCE AND BACKGROUND:
• A minimum 1-year greenhouse production experience or related experience
WORKING CONDITIONS\PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
• Must be able to work under different conditions such as extremes of temperature,
dampness, rain, dust, and sun exposure.
• Must be able to stand and walk for long periods of time.
• Must be able to work long and irregular hours, as well as a flexible schedule and on
weekends if needed.
• Must be able to wear personal protective gear when required.
• Must be able to work with chemicals and other irritating substances.
• Must be able to lift 75 lbs.
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS:
• Salary range: $23.00 – $26.45 per hour
• Medical, Dental & Vision Insurance coverage for employees and their families
• Basic Life & AD&D Insurance
• 401k program with company match
• Profit Sharing program (via 401k)
• Holiday & Performance Incentive Bonus program
• Paid Vacation: 10 days per year to start, increases with tenure
• Sick Leave: 1 hour accrued per 30 hours worked for first 30 days, 6.67 hours per
• 14 paid company holidays, 2 floating holidays & birthday off
• Paid Family Leave: 15 days after 12 months of service for FMLA qualifying events
• Company provided EAP
• Company provided subsidy for health/fitness clubs & apps
*To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty (as described above) satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform these essential functions.
To apply, send resume to HR@sakata.com