JOB SUMMARY: Responsible for the production and development of commercial crops and stockseed production in assigned geographic areas in Yuma, Arizona. Main emphasis and goals are to produce 99% marketable seed, research and explore new techniques of seed production and development, work with Growers on crop maintenance and effective field techniques, and to promote new ideas to reach company goals. Input and maintenance of all information and data regarding crop information into company systems are essential. Other responsibilities and assignments may be asked as well.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES*:
- Responsible for coordinating and controlling the scheduling, contracting, insuring of proper isolations, and oversight of growth through harvest for all production in the assigned area.
- Aids in sharing and training proper procedures and techniques with the Growers to assure high quality seed production and good Grower relations.
- Applies for necessary field phytosanitary certificates, working with county and state government agencies to insure timely inspections.
- Assist both company and grower during transplanting, planting, and harvest periods in his/her geographic area of responsibility.
- Responsible for rouging crops at the appropriate time and preparing accurate and comprehensive rouging reports.
- Manage scouting crews and schedules to insure accurate and timely monitoring.
- Monitor crops for infestation of insects and diseases and contacting Growers and /or PCA’s regarding any unusual or unacceptable conditions.
- Supervise contract labor crews assigned to fields for sowing, planting, weeding, manipulations, or other jobs as needed.
- Maintain crop records of all fields in a timely manner, including updating crop recipes and grower suggestions annually. Maintain Accurate and timely crop estimates.
- Maintain complete records of all crop expenses for budget purposes.
- Prepare, maintain, observe, and take good notes on trials for production research.
- Work with the Branch Manager/ Sr. Area Manager to develop annual Budget. Also responsible for maintaining / reviewing budget and area expenses on a monthly basis.
- Work with Green House Manager to sow, inspect with bi-weekly reports in I Forms, and maintain lot integrity all FS & SS transplants placed in the SW Zone Green Houses for SW Zone Production Orders.
- Works with the Area Production Team to comprehensively review Production Reliability, Quality, and Service data and addresses areas for improvement, simplification, optimization or expansion for the betterment of our business within the Area. Recipe Review, Crop Base Rate establishment, Timely Field Estimates, Planting within Range and Seed Borne Disease Control are areas of consideration.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Ability to handle stress especially when encountering necessary projects, deadlines and/or high workload.
- Must be able to work under strict time constraints and requirements.
- Bi-lingual (English/Spanish) preferred.
- Must have good computer skills, being able to effectively use Excel, Word, and email for correspondence, along with operating other office machines.
- Must have good communication skills, including both oral and written presentations.
- Experience in operating various types of farm equipment, including tractor driving with a sound understanding of safe equipment operations and maintenance.
- BS. degree in agriculture or related subject preferred.
EXPERIENCE AND BACKGROUND:
- Minimum 7 years experience in an agricultural field required.
- Minimum of two years of field work experience within the seed industry preferred.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS:
- Current and valid Driver’s license required.
- Must obtain a Private Applicator Pesticide License within one year.
WORKING CONDITIONS/PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
- Must be able to work under different conditions such as extremes of temperature, dampness, rain, dust and sun exposure.
- Must be able to work long and irregular hours during busy seasons.
- Must be able to wear personal protective gear when required.
- Must be able to work with chemicals and other irritating substances.
*To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty (as described above) satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform these essential functions.
To apply, send resume to HR@sakata.com