Sakata is committed to providing a workplace free of any and all kinds of discrimination. We are an equal opportunity employer and strive to promote a culturally diverse workforce. Thanks to our global and multicultural business environment, individuals can meet and work with people from all over the world.
Responsible for assisting in performing and/or coordinating diverse tasks such as sowing, transplanting, crop maintenance, sanitation, harvesting, evaluation, record keeping, and seed harvest and cleaning for the carrot breeding program.
Most activities happen at the Salinas Research Station and are conducted in accordance with specific directions and protocols. Assistant Breeder is responsible for assisting in the evaluation, development, and identification of competitive carrot varieties.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES*:
- Assists in evaluation of trials. Takes detailed notes during the crop development in nurseries. Assists the project leader in his evaluation or completes the evaluation as required. May complete the evaluation as the crop further develops. Assists project leader in inbred line selections and other daily tasks. Assumes responsibility for these tasks as needed in breeder’s absence.
- Maintains field trials for the carrot breeding project. Creates cage placement plans and arranges cage blocks in the field. Purchases and grows pollinators needed for pollinating carrot plants.
- Coordinates the labor and manages the harvest and cleaning of seed. Duties include the management of sowing, thinning, weeding, watering, fertilizer application, and daily examination for insect and disease problems. Maintains good control of cage growing conditions throughout the life of the crop.
- Performs and supervises routine plant breeding tasks associated with the carrot breeding project; these include preparing and sowing seed for trials, sending seed sampling for trials as needed, harvesting, packaging seed, and maintaining an orderly inventory in seed vault and reorganizing as needed.
- Assists in writing summary reports for each trial. Provide project leader with supporting data, photos, and notes.
- Assists in the development of documentation to support the advancement of products according to Sakata’s product life cycle system.
- Assists in coordinating the harvesting and evaluation of yield data for designated entries.
- Assists in coordinating the harvesting and cleaning of the seed made in cages.
- To ensure that crops remain reasonably free of insect pests and foliar diseases (in cooperation with agents from scouting services and designated station personnel) this individual must make sure that crops are sprayed as needed with the appropriate chemicals.
- Assists in crossing block design when experience permits. Opportunity to manage a project of the carrot breeding program (e.g., “cello” types) as experience permits.
- Prepares seed for pathology testing and makes sure the pathology department receives the seed in a timely manner
- Apply hot water and chemical treatment to all seed sown in nurseries for root selection.
- Apply chemical treatment to all roots transplanted in cages for seed production.
- Must develop proficiency in the software tools used by Sakata to manage plant breeding.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Ability to do accurate detailed work under time constraints and deadlines
- Must be able to keep accurate and timely records.
- Ability to communicate well in written and spoken English. Bilingual English/Spanish desirable.
- Must be able to use Microsoft Office programs.
- Must be able to work extra hours or weekend duty as assigned.
EXPERIENCE REQUIRED :
- BA/BS degree in agricultural related field or equivalent in work experience required
- Minimum 4 years seed, agriculture experience and/or crop experience required.
- Farm background desirable.
- Must have valid driver’s license and excellent driving record
WORKING CONDITIONS/PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
- Must have ability to perform work in varying weather conditions.
- Must be able to travel as necessary.
- Must have ability to lift over 50 pounds on a regular/daily basis.
- Must be able to work with chemicals and other irritating substances.
- Must be able to wear personal protective gear when required.
- Must be able to work in dusty, windy and wet conditions.
- Must be able to stand and/or walk for long periods of time.