Sakata is committed to providing a workplace free of any and all kinds of discrimination. We are an equal opportunity employer and strive to promote a culturally diverse workforce. Thanks to our global and multicultural business environment, individuals can meet and work with people from all over the world.
Responsible for assisting in performing and/or coordinating diverse tasks such as sowing, transplanting, crop maintenance, sanitation, harvesting, evaluation, record keeping, and seed extraction for the beet and pumpkin breeding programs. Seasonal responsibilities collaborating/assisting activities in baby leaf beet and chard breeding program. Most activities will be performed at/from the Mount Vernon, Washington Station and be conducted in accordance with specific directions and protocols. This role is responsible for assisting in the evaluation, development, and identification of competitive beet and pumpkin varieties. Some overnight travel will be necessary.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES*:
- Maintains greenhouse plants for the beet/chard and pumpkin breeding projects. Duties include sowing, thinning, watering, fertilizer application, plant training and pruning, daily examination for insect and fungus problems, and daily pollination for pumpkins.
- May assist in trial design. Prepares, packages, and labels all outgoing seeds for dealer samples, internal and external trials, and pathology tests. Maintains records of all trials.
- Assists the project leader in their evaluation of hybrids and inbreds or completes the evaluations, as required (overnight travel may be necessary).
- Assists in writing summary reports for each trial. Provides project leader with supporting data, photos, and notes.
- Assists in coordinating the harvesting and evaluation of designated selections.
- To insure that crops remain reasonably free of insect pests and foliar diseases (in cooperation with agents from scouting services and designated station personnel) this individual must make sure that crops are sprayed as needed with the appropriate chemicals.
- Responsible for managing the delivery of the plants to the field and the accurate planting/transplanting of the entries to their map designated locations. Responsible for seeing to it that each entry is visibly labeled for ease at evaluation.
- Sows and prepares seed for field trials.
- Serves as a work leader for a group of field workers or technical employees by assigning work, providing technical direction and coordinating activities to assure timely completion of tasks. Checks and maintains the quality of their work.
- Assists in the maintenance and development of the Plant Breeding Database. Maintains orderly inventory in seed storage areas and reorganizes seed as necessary.
- Anticipates and avoids problems/dilemmas within program scope (field designs, greenhouse set ups, labor disputes, etc.).
- Administrative duties may include organizing data, writing reports, and ordering supplies.
- Supervises trainees and contract workers when necessary.
- Purchases supplies with cost-consciousness.
- Other duties as assigned by Plant Breeder.
- Ability to do accurate detailed work under time constraints and deadlines
- Must be able to keep accurate and timely records.
- Ability to communicate well in written and spoken English. Bilingual English/Spanish desired
- Must be able to use a spreadsheet, database, and word processing program.
- Must be able to work extra hours or weekend duty as assigned.
- Basic knowledge of experimental design and data collection, management, and analysis
- Basic knowledge of genetic concepts
- MS in a plant sciences field, preferably plant breeding OR BS with 2 years of experience in a plant breeding program.
EXPERIENCE AND BACKGROUND:
- Plant breeding and/or agricultural experience desired.
- Vegetable crop experience desired
- Thorough competency in basic computing skills required. Experience with databases, spreadsheets, and statistical software preferred.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS:
- Must have valid driver’s license.
- Must already be eligible for employment in the USA – visa sponsorship will not be considered for this role.
WORKING CONDITIONS/PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
- Must have ability to perform work in all necessary weather conditions.
- Must be able to travel as necessary.
- Must have ability to lift over 50 pounds on a regular/daily basis.
- Must be able to work with chemicals and other irritating substances.
- Must be able to wear personal protective gear when required.
- Must be able to work in hot, cold, dusty, windy, and wet conditions.
- Must be able to stand and/or walk for long periods of time.
- Must be able to work with potential allergens, like pollen and dust
Send your Resume to firstname.lastname@example.org