JOB SUMMARY: This position works closely with the project leaders to develop state-of-the-art propriety vegetable crop products for Sakata Seed America. The breeding technician performs a variety of tasks applicable to plant breeding, including sowing, transplanting, crop maintenance, sanitation, pollinating, harvesting, evaluating, and record keeping. The breeding technician is encouraged explore new techniques and ideas to continually improve our processes and ultimately, our crop products.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES*:
- Maintains greenhouse plants for the Brassica breeding projects. Duties include sowing, thinning, watering, digging, fertilizer application, and daily examination for insect and fungus problems. Maintains good control of greenhouse growing conditions throughout the life of the crop.
- Assists with the greenhouse pollination program for the Brassica breeding projects. Ensures that manipulation and pollination is done at the appropriate times and without undue injury to the plants.
- Assists project leaders in hybrid evaluations and inbred line selections. Assists with trial record keeping, data entry, and analysis.
- Prepares, packages, and labels all outgoing seeds for dealer samples, all internal and external trials, and pathology tests. Maintains orderly inventory in the seed room and reorganizes it as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Purchases supplies with cost-consciousness.
- Participates in the on-station weekend watering rotation.
- Knowledge of basic horticulture, biology, or microbiology; desire to increase and improve knowledge of plant genetics.
- Must have excellent manual dexterity, spatial perception, and visual discrimination.
- Bilingual in Spanish a plus.
- Bachelor’s degree in horticulture or related field.
- Minimum one-year experience in plant agriculture or related area performed.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS:
- Current and valid Driver’s license required.
- Must be able to work under different weather conditions such as extremes of temperature, dampness and rain.
- Must be able to stand for long periods of time.
- Must maintain accuracy and efficiency while performing tedious tasks.
- Must be able to work with chemicals and other irritating substances.
- Must be willing and able to bear personal protective gear when required and/or necessary.
- Must be able to lift up to 30 pounds on a regular basis.
*To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty (as described above) satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform these essential functions.
To apply, send resume to HR@sakata.com.