JOB SUMMARY: Responsible for the production and development of foundation, stock seed & experimental production in Sakata Home Farm field locations. Main emphasis and goals are to produce 99% marketable seed, research and explore new techniques of seed production and development. Work with the Stock Seed Production Team on crop maintenance and effective field techniques, and to promote new ideas to reach company goals. Input and maintenance of all information and data regarding crop information into company systems are essential. Other responsibilities and assignments may be asked as well.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILTIES*:
- Responsible for coordinating, scheduling, preparation, cage construction and insuring proper isolations, and oversight of growth through harvest for all production in the assigned area.
- Aids in sharing and training proper procedures and techniques to assure high quality seed production and good Grower relations.
- Applies for necessary field phytosanitary certificates, working with county and state government agencies to insure timely inspections.
- Active participation with Stock Seed Team during transplanting, planting, and harvest periods in his/her geographic area of responsibility.
- Responsible for rouging crops at the appropriate time and preparing accurate and comprehensive rouging reports.
- Manage scouting crews and schedules to insure accurate and timely monitoring.
- Monitor crops for infestation of insects and diseases and contacting Woodland Farm Manager, Stock Seed Manager and /or PCA’s regarding any unusual or unacceptable conditions.
- Supervise contract labor crews assigned to fields/cages for sowing, planting, weeding, manipulations, or other jobs as needed.
- Maintains crop records of all fields/productions in a timely manner, including updating crop estimates, recipes and cultural farming suggestions annually.
- Maintain complete records of all crop expenses for budget purposes.
- Prepare, maintain, observe, and take good notes on trials for production research.
- Work with the Management to develop annual Budget. Also responsible for maintaining / reviewing budget and area expenses on a monthly basis.
- Other responsibilities may be assigned at the discretion of the Sr. Stock Seed Manager.
- Must have good computer skills, being able to effectively use Excel, Word, and email for correspondence, along with operating other office machines.
- Must have good communication skills, including both oral and written presentations.
- Experience in operating various types of farm equipment, including tractor driving with a sound understanding of safe equipment operations and maintenance.
- Bi-lingual in Spanish preferred
- Minimum 3 years experience in an agricultural field.
- Minimum of two years of field work experience within the seed industry preferred.
- BS Degree in the agricultural field of plant science.
- Courses in pathology and crop physiology desired.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS:
- Current and valid Driver’s license required.
- Must obtain a Private Applicator Pesticide License within one year.
WORKING CONDITIONS/PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
- Must be able to work under different conditions such as extremes of temperature, dampness, rain, dust and sun exposure.
- Must be able to work long and irregular hours during busy seasons.
- Must be able to wear personal protective gear when required.
- Must be able to work with chemicals and other irritating substances.
*To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty (as described above) satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform these essential functions.
To apply, send resume to HR@sakata.com.