Sakata is committed to providing a workplace free of any and all kinds of discrimination. We are an equal opportunity employer and strive to promote a culturally diverse workforce. Thanks to our global and multicultural business environment, individuals can meet and work with people from all over the world.
Primary responsibility is the application of routine genetic purity (DNA and isozyme) testing for quality assurance (hybrid purity, variety ID, and ploidy) program. This position provides routine support for all activities as assigned.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES*:
- Perform routine genetic purity testing on genotyping platforms, standard PCR, and isozyme methods including setting up tests, collecting and preparing plant tissue, running PCR, preparing gels, performing electrophoresis, staining gels, and assisting in the evaluation of results.
- Responsible for ploidy testing
- Maintain chemical stock solutions and laboratory equipment, assist in the handling of hazardous waste, maintain lab cleanliness.
- Assist in entering data on computer regarding incoming samples and results.
- Assist in research (including new variety protocol development, improving or changing existing procedures and assistance with support projects for other departments).
- Help with technical supervision of trainees, temporary employees, and others in the lab as delegated by lab coordinator.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Knowledge of basic chemistry principles and techniques required.
- Must be able to interact cooperatively with job supervisors, lab personnel and other research staff.
- Must have excellent spatial perception, mathematical aptitude, auditory discrimination, visual discrimination, manual dexterity, and mechanical aptitude.
- Must be able to work independently or as part of a team.
- Must have basic understanding of laboratory equipment operation.
- Must be able to learn appropriate technical and semi-technical skills.
- Ability to handle stress especially when encountering necessary projects, deadlines and/or high workload.
- Must be able to work under strict time constraints and requirements.
- Must have the ability to organize and prioritize work.
- B.S. degree in Plant Science, Biology, Chemistry, or related field preferred; or AA degree in Biology, Chemistry, plus two or more years of relevant lab work experience.
EXPERIENCE AND BACKGROUND:
- Employment-related laboratory experience required.
- Experience with molecular marker or similar tests preferred.
WORKING CONDITIONS/PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
- Must be able to work with hazardous laboratory chemicals and other possible irritating substances.
- Must be able to wear personal protective equipment when necessary and/or required. (Protective gloves, safety glasses & lab coat 60-80% of the time, respirator 15% of the time).
- Must be able to sit or stand for long periods of time.
Send a Resume to email@example.com