Sakata is committed to providing a workplace free of any and all kinds of discrimination. We are an equal opportunity employer and strive to promote a culturally diverse workforce. Thanks to our global and multicultural business environment, individuals can meet and work with people from all over the world.
Provide technical and non-technical assistance to the Salinas breeder support pathologist by performing and coordinating a variety of tasks (e.g., assist in the scheduling of routine disease resistance screens, raise healthy seedlings, and help inoculate plants used in disease screens, help with note-taking on disease reactions, cleanup of pathology equipment, greenhouse, laboratory and headhouse). Provide assistance to other pathology activities, such as seed health testing.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES*:
- Assist with screening of germplasm for disease resistance in the laboratory, greenhouse and field; this includes the growing of healthy plants and the inoculation of plants for the evaluation of plant reaction to disease.
- Prepare planting mix, sow seeds, grow and care for plants (including watering, fertilization and pest control).
- Assist with maintenance, housekeeping, and cleanup of pathology equipment, greenhouse, laboratory, and headhouse.
- Assist with note taking and basic data entry for various pathology projects.
- Good basic math and language skills.
- Good oral and written communication skills and good organizational skills.
- Ability to do accurate and detailed work under time constraints and deadlines, and able to adjust to seasonal surges in workload.
- Ability to do routine and repetitious work for several hours in the laboratory, greenhouse, or field.
- Ability to quickly adapt and be receptive to changing work demands, techniques, and/or approaches.
- Ability to work both independently and in a team
- Accuracy, efficiency, good dexterity and visual acuity are cri
- Willingness to take on a wide variety of tasks and duties.
- Ability to handle stress especially when encountering necessary projects, deadlines and/or high workload.
- Must be able to work under strict time constraints and require
- Bachelor’s degree in microbiology, biology or related field. Associate degree with demonstrated competence may substitute for the bachelor’s degree.
EXPERIENCE AND BACKGROUND:
- No direct work experience required, but education or experience in agriculture/horticulture or laboratory work desirable.
WORKING CONDITIONS/PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
- Must be willing to work overtime hours, including some weekends and holidays, as requested.
- Must be able to work with chemicals, pesticides and other possibly irritating substances.
- Must be able to wear protective equipment when necessary and/or required (e.g., lab coat, gloves, respirator).
- Must be able to stand or sit for several hours at a time (up to 70% of time).
- Must be able to do some lifting of items (< 50 lbs.)
Send a Resume to email@example.com