JOB SUMMARY: Provide technical and non-technical assistance to the Salinas breeding support pathologist by performing and coordinating a variety of tasks (e.g., assist in the scheduling of routine disease resistance screens, raise healthy seedlings, and help inoculate plants used in disease screens, help with note-taking on disease reactions, cleanup of pathology equipment, greenhouse, laboratory and headhouse). Provide assistance to other pathology activities, such as seed health testing.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES*:
- Assist with screening of germplasm for disease resistance in the laboratory, greenhouse and field; this includes the growing of healthy plants and the inoculation of plants for the evaluation of plant reaction to disease.
- Prepare planting mix, sow seeds, grow and care for plants (including watering, fertilization and pest control).
- Assist with maintenance, housekeeping, and cleanup of pathology equipment, greenhouse, laboratory, and headhouse.
- Assist with other pathology activities, such as preparation of microbiological media, buffers, reagents, and materials for seed health assays, as assigned.
- Assist with note-taking and basic data entry for various pathology projects.
- Good basic math and language skills.
- Good oral and written communication skills and good organizational skills.
- Ability to do accurate and detailed work under time constraints and deadlines, and able to adjust to seasonal surges in workload.
- Ability to do routine and repetitious work for several hours in the laboratory, greenhouse, or field.
- Ability to quickly adapt and be receptive to changing work demands, techniques, and/or approaches.
- Ability to work both independently and in a team.
- Ability to develop good laboratory skills in microbiology and chemistry.
- Accuracy, efficiency, good dexterity and visual acuity are critical.
- Competency in data management and use of computer applications.
- Willingness to take on a wide variety of tasks and duties.
- Ability to handle stress especially when encountering necessary projects, deadlines and/or high workload.
- Must be able to work under strict time constraints and requirements.
- Able to train and lead personnel in specified technical applications.
- High school diploma (or equivalent). Some college coursework or Associate degree in biological sciences or related field desirable, or equivalent work experience.
EXPERIENCE AND BACKGROUND:
- No direct work experience required, but education or experience in agriculture/horticulture or laboratory work desirable.
WORKING CONDITIONS/PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
- Must be willing to work overtime hours, including some weekends and holidays, as requested.
- Must be able to work with chemicals, pesticides, and other possibly irritating substances.
- Must be able to wear protective equipment when necessary and/or required (e.g., lab coat, gloves, respirator).
- Must be able to stand or sit for several hours at a time (up to 70% of time).
- Must be able to do some lifting of lightweight items (50 lbs.).
To Apply Please Send Resume to HR@Sakata.Com
* To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty (as described above) satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform these essential functions.