JOB SUMMARY: Responsible for the assisting in production and development of crops within assigned areas of the Sacramento and San Joaquin Valley. Main emphasis and goals are to produce 100% marketable seed, research and explore new techniques of seed production and development, work with Growers on crop maintenance and effective field techniques, and to promote new ideas to reach company goals. Input and maintenance of all information and data regarding crop information into company systems are essential. Other responsibilities and assignments may be asked as well.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILTIES*:
- Responsible for assisting in insuring of proper isolations, and oversight of growth through harvest for all commercial production and trialing as assigned.
- Aids in sharing and training proper procedures and techniques with the Growers to assure high quality seed production and good Grower relations.
- Assist both company and grower during transplanting, planting, and harvest periods.
- Responsible for rouging crops at the appropriate time and preparing accurate and comprehensive rouging reports.
- Manage scouting crews and schedules to insure accurate and timely monitoring.
- Monitor crops for infestation of insects and diseases and contacting SAH Branch Manager regarding any unusual or unacceptable conditions.
- Supervise or advise contract labor crews assigned to fields for sowing, planting, weeding, manipulations, or other jobs as needed.
- Must have good computer skills, being able to effectively use Excel, Word, and email for correspondence, along with operating other office machines.
- Must have good communication skills, including both oral and written presentations.
- Experience in operating various types of farm equipment, including tractor driving with a sound understanding of safe equipment operations and maintenance.
- Ability to handle stress especially when encountering necessary projects, deadlines and/or high workload.
- Must be able to work under strict time constraints and requirements.
- Bi-lingual in Spanish preferred
- Courses in pathology and crop physiology desired.
EXPERIENCE AND BACKGROUND:
- Minimum 5 years experience in an agricultural field required.
- Minimum of two years of field work experience within the seed industry preferred.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS:
- Current and valid Driver’s license required.
WORKING CONDITIONS/PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
- Must be able to work under different conditions such as extremes of temperature, dampness, rain, dust and sun exposure.
- Must be able and willing to drive long distances and for long periods of time.
- Must be able to stand and walk for long periods of time.
- Must be able to work long and irregular hours during busy seasons.
- Must be able to wear personal protective gear when required.
- Must be able to work with chemicals and other irritating substances.
- Must be able to lift up to 75 pounds on a regular basis.
*To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty (as described above) satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform these essential functions.
To apply, send resume to HR@sakata.com.