Coordinate, conduct and/or supervise priming and quality enhancement of flower, vegetable, herb and sweet corn seed. Develop and coordinate the transfer of seed enhancement technology to commercial levels. Participate with Sales, Production and Seed enhancement staff in determining forecasts, process control and seed enhancement lead times and timetables. Interact with customers regarding suitability and benefits of seed enhancement programs.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES*:
- Develop, adapt and scale-up research seed priming and quality enhancement techniques to commercial levels.
- Actively coordinate, conduct and supervise Priming Operations 24/7, including alternating weekend and holiday duties, along with remaining Seed Enhancement staff.
- Participate with Sales/Business Manager to expand seed priming and quality enhancement business
- Interact with and assist customers regarding suitability and potential benefits of specific seed priming and quality enhancement treatments
- Cooperate with Sales/Business Manager to complete seed priming and quality enhancement projects on a timely basis.
- Cooperate with and assist existing staff in all phases of seed priming and quality enhancement duties and assignments.
- Investigate and develop improved seed priming and quality enhancement protocols suitable for commercial application.
- Ensure all State and Federal safety and environmental regulations are followed
- Monitor and maintain inventories of supplies
- Monitor and maintain seed priming and quality enhancement equipment
- Monitor, maintain and improve seed priming and quality enhancement processing records, database and systems
- Document and communicate process problems to Seed Enhancement Manager
- Other duties as assigned
- Must have knowledge and understanding of seed science, seed enhancement and seed germination
- Must have ability to operate common laboratory equipment and seed treating equipment
- Must have excellent visual, mathematical and judgmental skills
- Must be able to use a computer as necessary to meet job demands
- Must have excellent oral and written communications skills
- Must have excellent manual dexterity, spatial perception, visual discrimination, mathematical and mechanical aptitude
- Ability to handle stress especially when encountering necessary projects, deadlines and/or high workload.
- Strong character traits required including emotional stability, adaptability, ability to handle stress, cultural and gender sensitivity, and honesty.
- Must be able to work under strict time constraints and requirements.
- Must have excellent problem solving, writing and analytical abilities
- Must be detail-oriented and able to prioritize work to meet deadlines
- Must have ability to learn technical aspects of seed enhancement process
- Must have desire and ability to acquire qualified applicator license
- BS degree in Agriculture or related science required.
- Must be able to obtain a Department of Pesticide Regulation Qualified Applicator Certificate.
EXPERIENCE AND BACKGROUND:
- Five years experience in biological sciences, seed technology or other areas of the seed industry required.
WORKING CONDITIONS/PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
- Must be able to lift up to 50 pounds
- Must be able to stand for long periods of time
- Must be able to work with chemicals, pesticides and other irritating substances
- Must be able to work wear personal protective equipment when necessary and/or required
- Must be able to work in dusty, hot and/or cold conditions on a regular basis.
- Must be able to work overtime during busy times of year, including alternating weekend and holiday duties with other Seed Enhancement personnel.
*To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty (as described above) satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform these essential functions.
To apply, send resume to HR@sakata.com.