JOB SUMMARY: This position is responsible for the testing, generation and distribution of data as it applies to seed quality, state seed laws and regulations, national and international testing rules, the Federal Seed Act, and international laws and regulations.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES*:
- Conduct and support all activities related to purity, bulk examinations, germination/viability test, moisture tests, and other tests that determine seed quality for labeling, payment, research, or complaint investigation purposes.
- Report results according to protocols mandated by international standards, US standards, company standards and standards of professional seed testing organizations.
- Accurately document test data. Evaluate accuracy of test results, and schedule retests as needed. Recognize problems requiring alternate testing.
- Assist in training seasonal staff with seed testing activities.
- Monitor laboratory equipment performance to ensure lab equipment is adequately and properly maintained.
- Attend professional meetings, workshops, and conferences related to seed testing and training for forklift instruction and respirator use as necessary.
- Calibrate all direct weighing balance moisture meters on an annual basis or as needed. Recheck procedures after each servicing.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Comply with all company policies and procedures as follows, but not limited to this list:
- Be aware of and personally follow all company policies and procedures. Raise issues with Manager when policies or procedures are not clear or are not working.
- Keep manager informed of critical tasks not done and developing issues.
- Cooperative attitude. Able to follow directions as well as supervise others.
- Ability to train and lead temporary and other semi-skilled personnel.
- Basic knowledge of plant sciences, genetics, biochemistry, microbiology, molecular biology, and/or statistics.
- Ability to develop excellent laboratory skills in taxonomical botany and general seed science/botany
- Ability to do routine and repetitious work in a laboratory environment for several hours.
- Ability to quickly adapt and be receptive to changing work demands, techniques, and/or approaches.
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team.
- Ability to work accurately and efficiently with good dexterity and visual acuity, meeting time constraints and deadlines.
- Ability to handle stress especially when encountering necessary projects, deadlines and/or high workload.
- Must be able to work under strict time constraints and requirements.
- Good verbal, listening, and written communication skills and good organizational skills.
- Competency in data management and use of computer technologies.
- Willingness to take on a wide assortment of tasks and duties.
- BS degree in agricultural science, plant sciences, biological sciences or related field desired.
EXPERIENCE AND BACKGROUND:
- Must be at least 18 years of age.
- Prior experience in vegetable seed germination and purity testing preferred.
WORKING CONDITIONS/PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
- Must be able to work with pesticides and other agricultural chemicals, laboratory chemicals and other potentially irritating substances.
- Must be able to sit and/or stand for long periods of time (up to 70%).
- Must be able to climb and descend step ladders. Must be able to lift 15 pounds above shoulders.
- Must be able to wear personal protective equipment when necessary and/or required (for example, but not limited to: lab coats, respirators, protective gloves, safety glasses.)
To Apply Please Send Resume to HR@Sakata.Com
* To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty (as described above) satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform these essential functions.